Sunday, January 28, 2007

Getting my mark

Well, i finally did it. Only took me 32 years, but here it is. My first tattoo. I've always said i would get one, but deciding on which one to get was my problem. I wanted something that looked like me, but not something i would regret when i'm sixty. Not that i'm too sure how i'll feel about this in thirty years, but i think i'll still like it as much.

I didnt plan on getting one yesterday. We started out the day car shopping. My durango is starting to act it's age (it's a 98), and after several pings, clanks, and a new idler pully thingy, i wanted something new. Plus something that gets better gas millage. I swear that thing only gets like 11 mpg, and last week i went thru $150 in gas. Uh, no. So we went to vinnie's uncles car lot. He's actually the guy who sold me the durango, but that was at a different car lot. So we went down there (i had called friday and gave him all the numbers so he could have an idea of what to have waiting for me). They had a 01 bug that was just too cute, but the payments would have been more than i want to pay. I want to keep them at or below what i'm paying now. But they did have a 96 cadillac fleetwood. It was gorgeous. My sister was worried i'd be driving a pimpmobile, but this thing looks like something your grandma would drive. There even isnt a cd player (thank god for sirus). But it only has 80,000 miles on it and the only flaw in the entire thing is a tiny dent on the drivers door by the handle. Seriously, i think it sat in someones garage for ten years and when grandma died they just sold the thing. It's sooo nice. I never thought i would own a classy vehicle like that, even if it is 10 years old.

I have to wait til monday to find out for sure if the finance company says yes, but seeing as how they're going thru the same one that i finaced my durango thru i dont see there being a problem. So we left, and headed to Iron Horse tattoo. Vinnie wanted a new set of earrings in a bigger gage. So we went in and i had the bright idea of paying for them as an early valentines present. (i have no idea what else to get him). He wasnt going for it (cuz i said i would put it on a credit card), but it gave him the idea of me getting a tattoo and he would pay for it as an early valentines present for me. Um.... lemme think. I wandered around and studied just about every picture in the place, finally decided on the fairy. She just looked classy and cute. I already knew where i was gonna put it. The typical tramp stamp spot. That way the only people who see it are the people who want. I didnt want it on my shoulder or ankle because in the summer i live in tanks and skirts and i just thought that might be tacky at work. (never mind the girl who has them on her breast bones and wears low cut blouses).

This kid Chris did it, and he was just great. Kind of goofy, i couldnt tell if he was gay or high, or just a little off, but he was a total sweetheart and real patient. And he did an excellent job. Since Vinnie was there and it was at his friends shop i made a huge effort NOT to be a big baby about it. There was a guy there who was getting one at the same time and he was about to cry the entire time, so i was like i am not going to be like him. I just closed my eyes and breathed. It wasnt too bad, just a few bad lines. The worst part was the last half hour (the whole thing took 3 hours) where he was doing the detail and color. That part just about killed me. Plus i had been sitting on a chair backwards for three hours by that point and every time i flinched my hips felt like they were going to pop out. When i finally got out of the chair i practically crawled to the car. The rest of the evening i wasnt feeling too good. But i think that was more of the stomach bug that i've been batteling than the tattoo.

Over all, the morning after, i dont regret it. Yet. Ask me tomorrow after sitting at my desk all day.